Registering is the first step to voting. You can check your registration status, update your registration, or register for the first time using the resources below.
Who can Register to Vote?
- A Michigan resident and a resident of the township
- A United States citizen
- At least 18 years of age (when you vote)
- Not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison
You may pre-register to vote if you are 17.5 years old, and meet all of the other eligibility requirements to vote. If you pre-register to vote, you will automatically be registered to vote on your 18th birthday.
Where can I register to Vote?
- Online at Michigan.gov/VoterRegistration
- At a Secretary of State branch office
- At your city or township clerk’s office or your county clerk’s office
- At any state agency that provides public assistance or services to people with disabilities
- Through a voter registration drive
- By mailing in a completed voter registration application postmarked at least 15 days before the election
Within 14 days before the election, all applications must be submitted to the clerk’s office in person.